4 cups caster sugar
4 cups water
2 tbs fresh lemon juice
3 tbs gelatine powder
1 cup cornflour
1 tsp cream of tartar
2 tsp rosewater essence
Red food colouring
2 cups icing sugar mixture for coating
- Grease a cake pan/container with oil to prevent from the jelly from sticking .
- Place the sugar and the water in a large heavy-based saucepan over low heat and stir until the sugar dissolves and bubbling. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, place the gelatine, cornflour and cream of tartar in a large saucepan. Use a balloon whisk to whisk in a little of the remaining water to form a paste. Gradually whisk in the remaining water. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 3-5 minutes or until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Gradually pour the sugar syrup into the cornflour mixture, whisking constantly.Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent the mixture sticking to the base of the pan, for 1 hour or until the mixture is light golden .
- Add the rosewater and a few drops of the food colouring and stir until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Set aside to cool to room temperature and place in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight until firm.
- Use a lightly greased knife to cut into cube pieces. Toss the lokum in the icing sugar to coat.