I haven't baking much lately, it is raining outside and i thought im gonna make something that i love most during month of ramadhan and also tea time..Yes, that is kuih a.k.a small cake .The ingredients are easy to find and yet easy to buy.As usual as always i asked my husband to buy 1/2 kg of yellow sweet potato and he was soooo excited when i told him that im making kuih cik mek molek for tea time (traditional kuih is always the pick).Cik Mek Molek (which means pretty lady) basically a taste of sweet potato with a form a delicious crystallised inner layer that made from just melted sugar.There are many types,different colours of sweet potato with different structures but just get any type that available... ok??As long as they are fresh...
So,I hope you will try this delicacies and enjoy it as much as I do.Soft, creamy and sweet.Don't forget to make some tea..oh,I am hungry.....
500 gm sweet potato (boiled and mashed)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp butter
pinch of salt
some sugar for the filling
- Mix and knead until you can form a ball. It should be slightly sticky and malleable. Not dry or hard.
- Shape the dough into a small ball and flatten it.
- Place a teaspoon of sugar in the middle of the dough as this will be the filling
- Fold the dough into 2 and crimp the edges. Make sure it is crimped nice and tight, otherwise the filling may leak during the frying process.
- Roll the dough to make a nice clean bullet shape.
- Heat oil, and deep fry
- Drain on kitchen towels.