I'm glad.. there is no butter in this cake
I bought a kilo of almond meal especially for making macaron.. after many heartbreak, joy, pride and disoriented mental i had..cracked, feet less, not to mention a batch of a success macs... i think i need a break.. for now.. but not stopping me on baking adventure.. i stumbled this recipe that use almond meal as the main ingredient, not far from making the macs, then i thought why not give it a try.. it seems like a lovely butter cake with a hint of orange flavour.. urm.. curious but anxious..
it a delish.. no wonder me and my husband finished it all in minutes.. it never get cooled on the rack.. those pictures taken while it just came out from the oven and i was worried all the sugar sprinkled will be melted away... so fortunate, it melts in our mouth.. i just ate the last piece of the cake.. definitely will be on the top list..
fluffy, very very low of sugar, light cake ... best served with hot tea...
internet is the guru...otherwise this is not happening..so here it goes..adapted from baking history....
1 cup (150 g) whole Almonds, blanched, raw i just use almond meal
3/4 cup (150 g) Granulated Sugar
1/3 cup (50 g) Potato Flour (starch)
3 Eggs separate the whites and yolk
1-1/2 (organic) Oranges (juice and zest)
Powdered sugar to sprinkle on top of the cake
How to :
- Preheat the oven to 150'C, line the baking pan with aluminium foil
- Grind the almonds with 1/3 of the sugar in the food processor or coffee grinder until very finely powdered. Sift the almond mixture with the potato flour and grind again any large pieces of almonds that might have remained in the sifter. Set aside.since I'm using the almond flour, so i just combine all the dry ingredients.
- In a big bowl,beat the yolks at very high speed until light and pale yellow i just use hand mixer . Gradually add the ground sugar and beat until well incorporated.
- Add the ground almond mixture and the orange juice to the yolks and beat at high speed until light and well incorporated.Set aside
- Then, beat the egg whites until it stiff and glossy
- Finally gently fold in the whipped egg whites, by hand, making sure they are well distributed and without deflating them. Pour the mixture in the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes I bake this only for about 20 mins. A cake tester in the center must come out clean and dry when the cake is ready.
- Unmold it and let it cool on the rack. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top once the cake is completely cool.