For those cheesecake lovers out there.. this is for you.. it tasted lemony of course and cut all the sweetness of the macaron..with little bit zing zing.. but let me tell ya.. it is so good...absolutely refreshing..
I used to have egg yolks leftover whenever i make macarons.. so i'm pretty happy for this recipe.. it uses exactly 3 yolks which i got from making macaron shells.. Well, here is the basic recipe for macaron with easy homemade yummy lemon curd..lemon definitely my choice..
Using a French Method for this macaron recipe, do refer to my last entry .Please click here. You can add some yellow egg colour into the meringue before combined with the dry ingredients.
Lemon curd recipe: adapted from americanfood.about.com
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4-5 lemons)
- 2 tbsps grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter (1 stick butter), cut into 1/8-in slices
For better understanding, do watch this video for making this lemon curd
- Add 1-inch of water to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over low heat. In a medium metal bowl whisk the egg yolks and sugar for about 2 minutes until smooth. Whisk in the lemon juice and zest until combined.
- Place the mixing bowl on top of saucepan (the bowl should be wide enough to fit on top of the saucepan, but shouldn't be touching the simmering water). Stir the mixture constantly with a rubber spatula, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl as you stir, until it begins to thicken, and will coat the back of a spoon. This will take approximately 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in the butter, one slice at a time. Wait until each piece almost disappears before adding the next. Spoon into clean glass containers and allow to cool with a piece of plastic wrap laid on the surface to prevent a skin from forming.