I am looking for an ultimate butter cookies... better say, almost like Kjeldsen Butter Cookies.. picking up the best is tough as I've tried many recipes before.Some with egg- no egg, milk- no milk, plain flour-corn flour.... frankly i must say that this one is nearly to The One... i'm totally clueless what did Kjeldsen put in the ingredients that makes me and my family crazy about it. Though I've only made a small batch of this recipe ( makes about 20 cookies). but that feeds enough four of us.My husband have stated that,... enough making the cookies, it still tastes like biskut raya (festive cookies)it is true but i'll never give give up.. sorry.
So here is the adapted version of best butter cookies.I did not sprinkle any sugar so add some more sugar in the mixture.Give it a try and you gonna love it..
50g fine sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg yolk + 1/2 tsp vanilla essence (lightly beaten)
150g cake flour
pinch of baking powder
1 tbsp skim milk powder
1 egg white
Dry Demerara sugar for sprinkling
- Cream butter, sugar and salt with electric beater till pale and fluffy.
- Add in egg yolk and beat till well incorporated.
- Sieve in the flour and baking powder, add in the milk powder, use the lowest speed of your electric beater to combine. Mixture will be bread-crumbs like and will form a dough easily.
- Put dough into a plastic bag and roll it into a flat sheet as in Photo 3. Chill in the fridge till harden before cutting out the cookie.
- Cut out cookie with cutter. Brush on some egg white and sprinkle dry demerara sugar on the surface.
- Bake on a lined tray at 180C for 10 minutes in the middle rack and shift to the upper rack and bake a further 2 - 3 minutes to get the golden brown color.
- The sprinkling of the dry demerara sugar is optional. If you omit this step, please increase sugar to 60g.
- Please really only use a pinch of baking powder as you don't want the cookie to be out of shape when it is baking in the oven.
- Chill the dough again if it is too soft to be cut out.